November is here, it's time for homeowners to ensure their homes are ready for the change of season, upcoming holidays, festivities, and the new year. Aponte Group at Compass has prepared a checklist categorized into different areas to guide you through this transitional month.
Exterior Safety Checks: Paths, Stairs, and Railings
- Inspect outdoor pathways, stairs, and railings to ensure they are safe and sturdy.
- Repair any uneven footing or unstable railings to prevent accidents and create a secure environment for family and guests.
Holiday Prep for a Memorable Celebration
- Plan your special holiday meal and prepare in advance to reduce last-minute stress.
- Launder and iron fine linens, rolling them up on old wrapping paper tubes to prevent wrinkles.
- Consider professional sharpening for kitchen knives and polishing silverware for a memorable dining experience.
- As of November 1st, we're looking at 54 days until Christmas. It might feel like the holidays are still a bit down the road, but it's never too early to get things rolling. Start by making a list of who you'll be shopping for this year. Whenever a gift idea pops up, jot it down. It's not just for organization; it's also handy for keeping an eye on your holiday budget. And if you're thinking about DIY gifts, November's the perfect time to kickstart those projects.
Deep-Clean Bathrooms for a Fresh Start
- Schedule a deep cleaning of your bathrooms to usher in the holiday season with a spotless and inviting atmosphere.
- Ensure your bathrooms are ready for guests with clean fixtures and fresh linens.
Maintain Washer Water Line Filters for Efficiency
- Keep your washing machine running efficiently by maintaining water line filters.
- If you notice longer fill times, follow these steps to clean the filters:
- Turn off the water supply valves.
- Reach behind the washer or pull it out to access the inlet lines.
- Unscrew the supply lines, locate the filters on the machine inlets, and clean them.
- Reconnect the water hoses, ensuring proper attachment of the hot and cold lines.
- Turn the water valves back on and check for leaks.
Prepare Your Home for the Season
- As the weather cools down in Orlando, it's a great time to check your heating system.
- Ensure your HVAC system is clean, the filters are replaced, and the thermostat is functioning optimally.
- Consider scheduling a professional maintenance check to keep your home cozy and energy-efficient.
Extend Kindness to Feathered Friends
- Support non-migrating birds during the season when natural food sources become scarce.
- Stock up on birdseed to keep feeders full and provide a water source.
- Refresh the water source daily to prevent mosquitoes and ensure our feathered friends are well-cared for.
Refresh Your Garbage Disposal for a Festive Feast
- Before hosting Thanksgiving and holiday gatherings, freshen up your garbage disposal.
- Follow these steps for a quick and effective cleaning:
- Pour 1/2 cup baking soda into the disposal.
- Add a cup of white vinegar to create a natural cleaning reaction.
- Once the foaming subsides, pour a pot of boiling water down the disposal and let it sit for about five minutes.
- Turn on the water in the sink and the disposal to rinse it out.
- To keep your disposal smelling fresh, create "lemon cubes" by placing leftover lemon chunks in an ice cube tray, covering them with water, and freezing. Use these cubes to freshen up your disposal whenever needed.
Prepare Your Home for the New Year
- As November comes to a close, it's an ideal time to review your home insurance policy.
- Ensure your coverage is up-to-date and adequate for your needs.
- Consider any renovations or additions you've made during the year and adjust your policy accordingly.